Some Facts Regarding Autism
- Features of autism usually appear during the first three years of life.
- Autism affects 1 in 150 births of all racial, ethnic and social backgrounds.
- Autism is four times more common in males than females.
- Approximately 75% of autistic children are mentally retarded.
- Females with autism exhibit more severe mental retardation.
- About one in four individuals with autism develop seizures – it can also occur with other conditions such as deafness, Down Syndrome and Fragile X Syndrom.
- People with autism vary widely in abilities, intelligence levels and behavioural characteristics.